So today I went to make some firewall updates for a client and the Cisco PDM wouldn’t launch from the browser.
After some troubleshooting, I found that the Java VM was indicating an ArrayIndexOutofBoundsException had occurred.
After some checking around I confirmed my suspicion: Java sucks. Just kidding, well not really, but what I really confirmed was that the PDM wouldn’t work with any new version of Sun Java. I guess I’m spoiled with .Net being backward compatible.
Some suggested installing an old version of Java
But lucky for me I was able to just install Java 6 Update 15 and Java 6 Update 7 from Add/Remove programs and everything started working again.
It’s totally true when people accuse MS of copying Java with the .NET framework, but they sure didn’t make it suck like Java.
UPDATE: The version of Java that is working for me is Java 6 Update 6. You can download it here:
I’ve been working on a project where I wanted to have a flyout window on the left just like how Visual Studio does their menus.
Maybe “slide out” is more accurate.
I used jQuery, which I am trying to use more in my projects, for the effects.
Anyway, I ended up making it a bit harder than it needed to be by having the tab itself slide out, as well as allow for multiple tabs.
At this point I’m happy enough to move on with a successful proof of concept, but I think if I were doing this from scratch again I wouldn’t bother having the tab slide out as well. I’d just show the sliding out window.
But, this should be a good starting point.
visualstudioflyoutmenus.htm (17.7 KB)
Update: And of course it completely fails in FF.
I made some changes, removed some things, tweaked others… looks ok in FF now.
visualstudioflyoutmenus2.htm (17.7 KB)
What the heck? This ad does in fact go to Mozy.com.
You can use XXCOPY (www.xxcopy.com) to write simple backup scripts to copy your files to remote storage locations, but you can also use it to compress those files on the NTFS file system.
I have used /CLONE in the past because it’s easy, but a side effect is that all the files will maintain their attributes when copied to the destination. What this means is that if a file is not compressed at the source, it won’t be compressed at the destination, even if you set the destination folder/drive to be compressed.
To solve this problem you just need to first set the compression attribute of the container of the location you are copying files too, and then use a switch to tell xxcopy to only set the “normal” attribute, which I belive sets the “A” attribute. Either way, it works.
xxcopy E: /s /ASDC
xxcopy E: /s /AS:C
xXcopy D:FolderRoot*.* E:FolderRoot /CLONE /YY /Z0 /KN
The code here is backing up everything in D:FolderRoot to the E: with compression.
The first step sets the E: to be a compressed drive (this will work for any folder, not just the root of the drive).
The second step sets all files in all folders to be compressed. This is just to make sure that when this runs at night, no files are missed.
The last step copies all files from the folder we care about, and the /KN swtich allows the destination files to inherit the “C” (compression) attribute from the parent folder.