I’m in the process of working with NDepend for the purpose of evaluating it when it comes to code metrics and helping with visualizing dependencies to help find areas where we could be combining assemblies into a single assembly.
To better understand the metrics I found these 3 resources on the NDepend website quite helpful:
A set of Power Point Slides in English freely re-usable for any NDepend presentation
A poster representative of NDepend Code Metrics made by Scott Hanselman, Patrick Cauldwell and Stuart Cellarier
Metrics Cheat Sheet byFrank-Leonardo Quednau
I had this issue recently when looking at someone elses solution.
Project A had a reference to project B, but when you tried to compile it would fail on Project A (because it couldn’t find any of the classes in project B) and the assembly for project B would not be copied to the BIN of Project A!
The errors looked like this:
C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv4.0.30319Microsoft.Common.targets(1360,9): warning MSB3253: The referenced assembly “MyAssemblyName” could not be resolved because it has a dependency on “System.Web, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a” which is not in the currently targeted framework “.NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client”. Please remove references to assemblies not in the targeted framework or consider retargeting your project.
After a lot of messing around it turned out that the “Target Framework” for Project A had been changed to “.NET 4.0 Client Profile” instead of just plain old “.NET 4.0”.
Change it back and rebuild: it’s that simple.
From Scott Hanselman:
I’m considering trying out PicoContainer which happens to be developed by Atlassian, a company I had been researching recently regarding their “20% Time” implementation.
I’ve tried baseless merges, forced merges, regular merges…. nothing ever “takes” (even though the changes TO get committed, TFS keeps thinking there are unresolved changes that need to be merged next time I do a merge).
Here are some screen shots of the crazy merges I’m trying with the 2 issues that never resolve. Click for bigger picture:
UPDATE: I think we’ve resolved the problem. There was a nonexistant file that had a mystery pending change that would never get resolved. I undeleted it, merged this change into the file, then deleted it again, and merged that change doing a baseless merge, and it seemed to go away.