I didn’t notice that the Microsoft P&P team has released something they call “Software Factories” which are supposed to guide the developer in building different apps using best practices (at least that is what I think they do from the descriptions).
Specifically I am interested in the Web Client Software Factory:
… provides an integrated set of guidance that assists architects and developers in creating composite Web applications and page flow client applications.
These applications have one or more of the following characteristics:
- They have complex page flows and workflows.
- They are developed by multiple collaborating development teams.
- They are composite applications that present information from multiple sources through an integrated user interface.
- They support XCopy deployment of independently developed modules.
- They support online business transaction processing Web sites.
and the Web Service Software Factory, which as they put it is:
… an integrated collection of tools, patterns, source code and prescriptive guidance. It is designed to help you quickly and consistently construct Web services that adhere to well known architecture and design patterns.
The package covers: