iPhone 2.0 Exchange over WiFi Does Not Work (Now It Does)

I recently upgraded my iphone to the new version 2.0, almost entirely for 1 reason: exchange syncronization.

After some minor issues setting up, I got things working correctly and it worked great.  But, as soon as I connected to a wifi and tried to do anything with exchange it fails.

I first experienced this at work where we use 802.11 WPA-PEAP, so we were eager to take advantage of 2.0s support for WPA-PEAP.  We installed the profile and were browsing at fantastic speeds… but no email was coming through.

I couldn’t send or receive any email.

We tried using the admin tools to look at the iphone console messages and they talked about some ASxxxxxx errors, error code 451 came up a lot.

I hoped it was something with our work network, but when I got home I found that once again, I couldn’t send or receive anything.

Fantastic.

I’m hoping I am not the only one with this issue and someone else will read this and have more to add.

Update: It seems that the cause, for some unknown reason, is related to the profile that our network administrator is able to create with some new administration tools from apple.  Apple provides a tool to create profiles so you can send a config file to an iPhone and it will setup everything (email, wireless access etc).  When this profile (even if only for access to 1 wireless network) is on my iPhone, all exchange communication over our WiFi failes.

Update 2:  Ok maybe there is something else going on here.  I have removed the profile and I still can’t send / receive from my home wifi.  I tried it at my parents house too and I get the same result.

Here are some keywords/error messages that I am getting:

Exchange Account Verification Failed

Cannot Send Mail.

An error occurred while delivering this message.

Update 3:  Alright, it appears we have it working now.  There were some settings across a few of our exchange proxy servers that might not have been updated, and also there are some activesync settings that allow you to configure an “inside” url and an “outside” url.  After much poking around, I think Mike Driscoll got it figured out.  Thanks Mike.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s